These modern thermal baths were once used by the knights of the Order of St. John, and now host weekly parties for the common folk.
The Technical University of Berlin is a research university in Berlin, Germany that was founded in 1879 and would go on to become one of the most prestigious educational institutions in all of Europe.
On April 1, 1879, the Koniglich Technische Hochschule Charlottenburg (TH Charlottenburg) was formed by the governmental merger of two independent Prussian colleges. Named after the borough of Charlottenburg, where the school stands outside Berlin, this institution was the first university in Germany to award doctorates as a standard degree, in addition to diplomas.
After Charlottenburg’s absorption into Greater Berlin in 1920 following the founding of the Weimar Republic, the TH Charlottenburg was renamed “Technische Hochschule of Berlin” or “TH Berlin”.
During the 1930s, the campus was rapidly developed and expanded as a part of Nazi plans to create a utopia metropolis known as Welthauptstadt Germania, which was never realized. The second World War would play out right on the school’s campus as buildings were severely damaged by bombing raids. Heated street battles near the end of the war would lead to the suspension of TH Berlin’s operations in April 1946.
Today, TH Berlin’s campus covers over 600,000 square meters in various locations across Berlin. Approximately 40,000 students are enrolled at the school, studying 90 different subjects.Know more? Share with us!