Haus der Kulturen der Welt
Known locally as "the pregnant oyster," this center for the arts was a gift from the US to Berlin in 1957.
The Blue Mosque is among the oldest structures in central Yerevan and the last one standing of the eight mosques that once graced the city. Constructed in the 1760s, it was secularized under Soviet rule. They used the mosque to host an Anti-Religious Museum and then the Museum of Antifascism. Later, it became a science museum, with a planetarium located in the main prayer hall. Following Armenia’s independence, it once more became a house of worship for Armenia’s small Muslim population (roughly less than a tenth of 1 percent of the nation).
Already have an account? Log In