This French train station is located in a town renamed after the famed writer Marcel Proust's fictional name for the village.
Completed in 1906, Amtsgericht Wedding (Wedding District Court) is a neo-Gothic style courthouse in Berlin, Germany. Not to be confused with the traditional nuptials ceremony, this Court serves the German districts of Reinickendorf, Gesundbrunnen, and Wedding.
The design for Amtsgericht Wedding is said to be inspired by the Albrechtsburg, one of the most renowned examples of late Gothic architecture and considered the first castle in Germany. Led by architects Rudolf Mönnich and Paul Thoemer, the design for the courthouse is distinguished by its ornate facade which features curtain windows, tracery, stepped gables and battlements.
At its entrance, bronze and copper-shod doors include depictions of animals and an allegorical figure of Justice standing prominently above. Without her usual scale, sword of justice, or blindfold, the 3.2 meter high figure stands with only a law book and a shield. In 1933, as the Nazi’s took over Germany, an imperial eagle holding an oak wreath with a swastika was also attached to the entrance. While the eagle remains today, the swastika has since been removed.
During WW2, the District Court building was badly damaged but was restored by the end of the war. Today, Amtsgericht Wedding continues to serve its district and is officially a listed building, meaning it may not be demolished, extended, or altered without clearance from the local planning authority.Know more? Share with us!
Already have an account? Log In