This French train station is located in a town renamed after the famed writer Marcel Proust's fictional name for the village.
The Palacio Foz is hard to miss. With its bright pink facade and notable history, it’s a regular feature on walking tours of Lisbon. Though the exterior is nice, it’s the extravagant interior that’s really special.
Built in 1777, the palace was originally the home of the Count of Castelo Melhor. But it was the Marquis of Foz, who bought the palace in 1889, who turned the interior into the sumptuous masterpiece it is today.
Pompous gilded decorations, marble pillars, wrought iron balconies, and painted ceilings fill the French and Italian-inspired interior. A Louis XIV-style grand staircase takes visitors to a gallery with several famous paintings, and the dining room features more paintings and three crystal chandeliers from Venice. There is even another Paintings Room, with even more famous works. Perhaps most impressive of all, however, is the Grand Hall, or Hall of Mirrors, inspired by the Palace of Versailles.
In the basement of the palace is a Neo Gothic abbey, used as a restaurant in the early 1900s. Other parts of the palace are now the National Sports Museum, a Music Museum, and the Lisbon tourist office. Though the interior is not generally open to the public, monthly guided tours are available. Additionally, the palace hosts free concerts inside the Hall of Mirrors every Monday night, so get in line early.Know more? Share with us!
Already have an account? Log In