Montjuïc Cable Car
This cable car in Barcelona celebrates its 50th anniversary in 2020.
Despite being the more current station in the German city of Karlsruhe, the Karlsruhe Hauptbahnhof railway station is over a century old. The station is a major hub where several major railways connect allowing passengers can transfer to different lines. This interconnection satisfies the criteria for the station to classify as a Category 1 station.
The original and older station was designed by Friedrich Eisenlohr and opened on April 1, 1843 with two platforms. From the beginning it was designed as a through station that had no rail yard for trains to terminate their services. Instead a locomotive depot was located south of the station and to its east there was a freight yard and a central workshop.
Amplified rail traffic and the resulting frequent closures of the level crossings disrupted the ever-growing city and challenged its natural expansion. The Baden parliament decided in 1902 to relocate the station to a site one kilometer south of the existing establishment. The new station building, which operates today, was built between 1910 and 1913 designed with a mesh of neoclassical and Art Nouveau features.
The station was damaged by bombings during World War II and later rebuilt. The period after 1950 was characterized by a continuous modernization of the station. One major enhancement was the electrification of the railway completed in 1957.
In the late 1960s, the rebuilding of the station’s forecourt began. A pedestrian underpass was constructed, and the car and tram traffic were reorganized. Rail signaling systems were updated in 1977 to a new interlocking system controlled by buttons and switches.
Today, the station is a hub of train traffic. Its services include 130 long-distance trains – mainly ICEs and ICs on the Rhine route and TGV POS trains between Paris and Stuttgart – 133 regional trains and 121 S-Bahn trains each day.Know more? Share with us!
Already have an account? Log In