This historic Scottish football stadium underwent major renovations following not just one, but two fatal disasters.
In January of 1923, a group of Tres Arroyos youth met at the Public Library Sarmiento. The group was formed by members who had separated from the Athletic Club Costa Sud with the intention of starting their own sports club. What resulted was Club Huracán de Tres Arroyos.
Many of the group members identified as Radicals, a political party in Argentina, so they selected a name that paid homage to Hipólito Yrigoyen, a two-time President of Argentina and Radical party member. Their nickname “Hairy” is in reference to Yrigoyen, who was nicknamed “el peludo”, meaning the hairy armadillo. Yrigoyen earned the nickname for his introversion and avoidance of being seen in public.
After its formation, the Club secured land from a donation by a successful industrialist named Don Juan Butista Istilar – they then quickly began organizing several sports teams. Istilart later became instrumental in developing the Tresarryoense Regional Soccer League. During its early years, the Club was undefeated through 33 matches against local teams.
During the 1976-1983 dictatorship in Argentina, the Club suffered the disappearance of one of its players. In 1976, the Argentinian military captured Carlos Rivada, a fast forward, and his wife Beatriz Loperena. At the time, the team was waiting for Rivada to join in a celebration of the victory of a regional match. Rivada never showed up and his whereabouts remain unknown today.
Despite its brush with tragedy, the Club found renewed success in the decades to come. The 1990s brought a resurgence in Tresarroyense football, and in 2005, its stadium reopened with the capacity to seat 10,000 spectators. Today, the Club is one of the most recognized sports clubs in Argentina.Know more? Share with us!
Already have an account? Log In