This French train station is located in a town renamed after the famed writer Marcel Proust's fictional name for the village.
Santa Maria del Carmine in Pavia, Lombardy, Italy is considered one of the greatest examples of Lombard Gothic architecture. It better be, considering it took almost a century to come to fruition.
Gian Galeazzo Visconti, Duke of Milan, spearheaded the project back in 1374, but faced countless delays. Construction eventually ground to a halt, but was restarted in 1432 and finished almost three decades later.
The church’s imposing facade towers over Santa Maria del Carmine square. The exterior is divided by six brick pillars topped with decorative spires. Three doorways mark the main entrance, which were remade in 1854. Above the doors are four large windows and an additional opening fashioned in brickwork. The stout bell tower features numerous sculpted decorations and marble columns.
Grand frescoes and detailed paintings line the interior of the church, designed on a Latin cross plan – an architectural design that presents a Latin cross symbol when viewing the structure from above. Today, visitors marvel at Santa Maria del Carmine’s ornate design and the beautiful side chapels composing its interior.
Already have an account? Log In