The Catskills we know and love today has a lot more history than just hippies, Woodstock and winter sports. If you’re a fan of Midge Maisel maybe you were already aware the Catskills used to serve as a summer escape for Jewish New Yorkers, with more than 1,000 resorts popping up during its peak. It was then that the area became affectionately referred to as “The Borscht Belt.”
When Marty Passante noticed a For Sale sign outside of the resort and knew it was something special. He purchased it in 1969, and began constructing the Lobby and the Futura wing, keeping the hotel seasonal until 1977. Today it is one of the leading businesses in their community providing employment for over 400 full-time employees and serves over 200,000 guests a year.
After recently planting her own roots in the small hamlet, former Brooklyn theater director, Krissy Smith, purchased the single screen Callicoon Theater. The box office phone line promises the dual meaning “We never sell out”—and Krissy ensures that continues to be the case. That the oldest continually operating movie theater in the county keeps patrons in most of the seats, while keeping the spirit of the old Catskills alive.
Housed in the historic Town & Country building in the heart of downtown Liberty. Built in the 1890’s as a combination meeting hall and retail space and has been occupied by a series of stores, theaters, and social groups.
The Ceramic Brick House – seen here – was built in 1887 as a Second Empire-style mansion complete with mansard roof. In 1950, the windows and roof were renovated and it was refaced in polychrome glazed brick imported from Leeds.
Daughter of one of the pre-eminent Catskill fly tying families, Mary Dette is the last of the original Catskill fly tyers. Mary’s reach extends far beyond her local waters: Her fly shop is a touchstone for anglers traveling to the Catskills from all over the world.
Preserving the knife-making heritage of the Ellenville-Walden region as a major knife-making center for over one-hundred years. Along with local historical items, the museum houses one of the largest collections of knives in the country, many of which were made in the Hudson Valley.
The Livingston Manor Central School, which opened on February 20, 1939, is one of the most beautiful educational structures in the State of New York. Situated on a peninsula of land known as the Island, facing the Willowemoc River and the village of Livingston Manor, the imposing building of Georgian colonial architecture commands the attention and admiration of all.