This floating castle appears to be from an enchanted fable, but in actuality it is Europe's best preserved Renaissance water castle.
Primary School No. 74 is a de facto school that was formed from a 1970s merger of two primary schools, No.43 and No.74. At one time, it was one of the largest primary schools in Wrocław, Poland.
Designed by German architects Richard Plüddemann, Karl Klimm, and Charlot Cabanis, construction began in 1900 and was completed in two stages. The first was for the school building which opened after just two years of construction. The following phase was reconstruction of the gymnasium and a second school building from 1905-1908.
The history of the school actually began when Kletschkauer Schule was put into use in the German Breslau. During the war, a hospital for German officers was opened there. Over the years, the number of the school changed several times – numbers 13 and 33 were in use simultaneously, later they were changed to 43, and since 1972 the school has existed under no. 74.
In 1946, The Panorama Raclawice, a monumental work by Jan Styka and Wojciech Kossak, was brought to Wrocław where Communist authorities made every effort to prevent inhabitants from seeing the memento of the victory of Poles over Russians. The canvas was carried to the gymnasium of the school in July 1949 where the first renovation works were performed. It was stored at the school until 1953.
While more than 1,500 children attended the school in the 1980s, class sizes have become much more focused today with 18 pupils per class and a total of only 300 being taught each school year.Know more? Share with us!
Already have an account? Log In