This floating castle appears to be from an enchanted fable, but in actuality it is Europe's best preserved Renaissance water castle.
The Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh (RBGE) is a scientific center for the study of plants, their diversity and conservation, as well as a popular tourist attraction. Founded in 1670 as a “physic garden” to grow medicinal plants, today it occupies four sites across Edinburgh, Dawyck, Logan and Benmore each with its own specialized collection.
The Edinburgh botanic garden is the second oldest botanic garden in Britain after Oxford’s. The plant collection used as the basis of the garden was the private collection of Sir Patrick Murray, 2nd Lord Elibank, which was moved from his home at Livingston Peel in 1672.
The collection of plants expanded over the years with contributions from keepers and plant hunters. In 1763, the garden’s collections were moved away from the city’s pollution to a larger “physic garden” on the west side of Leith Walk. A cottage from the garden’s original site remained on Leith Walk for over one hundred years. In 2008, the building was moved brick by brick to a site within the current gardens. The project was completed in 2016.
Today, RBGE has a plant collection of 13,500 species in its 116 hectares (39.5 acres) of garden. It has more than 3 million herb specimens and welcomes over one million visitors each year.Know more? Share with us!
Already have an account? Log In