This floating castle appears to be from an enchanted fable, but in actuality it is Europe's best preserved Renaissance water castle.
The Bunthauser Spitze is a narrow point of land dividing the Norderelbe and Suderelbe, the northern and southern branches of the Elbe, on the southeast side of Hamburg. The small lighthouse constructed at this point marked the area for boats bound downstream.
Accessible via the Bunthauser hiking trail, the green, hexagonal wooden tower with white edges stands just 6.95 meters high and tapers upwards. It was built in 1913 and began its service the following year.
The observation deck can be reached via an iron, 19-step, staircase and the red riveted steel lantern house contains a belt lens with two incandescent lamps.
After more than 60 years of service, the light was “extinguished” in March 1977 and later that year its function was taken over by two red, two green and one red-green light. The building was restored in 1989 as part of the celebration of the 800th anniversary of Hamburg harbor, and it was repainted and repaired in 2007.
The tower was registered for monument protection in January 2005. Today the tower houses equipment used for monitoring the flow rate of the river and the site remains open to visitors who can climb the external stairs to the gallery on top.Know more? Share with us!