This floating castle appears to be from an enchanted fable, but in actuality it is Europe's best preserved Renaissance water castle.
680 North Lake Shore Drive, also known as Lake Shore Place, is a 29-story building overlooking the harbor of Chicago, Illinois. Built in 1926, the building operated as the Playboy Headquarters for many years.
Lake Shore Place was the largest building in the world upon completion. At 474ft (144m) tall, it encompasses the entire block between Lake Shore Drive and McClurg Court.
The building changed its address in 1988, not because it moved, but to escape the stigma of past financial failings. Originally named the American Furniture Mart, the building’s address was 666 North Lake Shore Drive. Chemical Bank filed a foreclosure on the building in 1984 and elected to change the name to distance the building from past financial misfortunes.
Others believe the change was requested by Playboy Enterprises who moved their corporate headquarters from their location in the Palmolive Building. Consequently, 680 became colloquially referred to as the “New Playboy Building.”
Radio station WCFL AM ran broadcasts from Lake Shore Place, but like Playboy, the company eventually moved out. Today, Lake Shore Place advertises itself as an ideal location for tenants in the medical, research, and education fields.Know more? Share with us!
Already have an account? Log In