The Renwick Gallery is a branch of the Smithsonian American Art Museum, located in Washington, D.C., and focuses on American craft and decorative arts from the 19th to the 21st century.Learn More
Designed in the Greek Revival style by architect Robert Mills, construction started in 1836, and the massive structure took 31 years to complete. A National Historic Landmark – which is considered to be one of the most important Greek Revival buildings in America – the building houses the Smithsonian American Art Museum and National Portrait Gallery.
One of the most iconic hotel’s in the Nation’s Capital. Nicknamed the “Residence of Presidents,” this legendary property has welcomed U.S. presidents and has been the site of many historic moments in history for over 200 years.
Designed by the firms Freelon Group, Adjaye Associates, and Davis Brody Bond, the NMAAHC opened in a ceremony led by President Barack Obama. Within the 350,000-square-foot, 10-story building there are more than 3,500 objects on display.Learn More
It’s where JFK proposed to Jackie, where former Secretary of State Madeleine Albright once told Billy Martin over dinner that she thinks of Martin’s as an extension of her living room, and where baseball greats including Mickey Mantle, Ty Cobb, and Yogi Berra dined in the “Dugout Room.”
Her parties were often in support of Marjorie’s other life-long passion: charity. This proved her most lasting legacy when she bequeathed her home to her own Foundation, to be used as a multipurpose museum.Learn More
The name Tabard Inn was drawn from Chaucer’s Canterbury tales and the place would forever revive itself in the hospitality of an old English Manor. It is oldest continuing running hotel in Washington DC opening its doors in 1922 by Marie Willoughby Rogers. Current owner Fritzi Cohen purchased the Inn with her husband in 1974, making the hotel one of the oldest in the city to be owned and operated by a woman since its inception.
The hotel is noted for eccentric interior styling which includes hidden doors, secret passages, and rooms in which all furnishings and fixtures are for sale. The mansion was added to the DC Preservation League’s African American Heritage Trail, for its role as a DC accommodation for Rosa Parks.
Its eclectic interiors, dominated by English and Italian influences, feature the painstaking work of craftsmen who adorned the house with carved wood walls, gilded papier-mâché ceilings, ornate iron staircases, and intricate marble floors. Anderson House was also outfitted with all the latest conveniences, including electricity, central heat, telephones, and two elevators.Learn More
Built in 1892-4 for German-American immigrant Christian Heurich, whose brewery was the largest in DC and a household name. The mansion incorporated many technological advancements, including metal speaking tubes, electric lighting, burglar alarms, and “fireproofing.” The interior decoration and furnishings were made by numerous German-American craftspeople.
On August 22, 1958, Ben’s Chili Bowl opened for business. The U Street was then known nationally as “Black Broadway” and Washington D.C. was still segregated. But all were always welcome at Ben’s. The counter, booths and stools are all original; the fresh homemade chili is still made with love, using the same secret recipe, and service and quality are guiding principles.
Built in honor of abolitionist Frederick Douglass and designed by prominent African American architect Albert Cassell.Learn More
Founded by Bill Kerr who had worked at an earlier Capitol Hill bookstore, Wayward Books. He would take his pay in books and when Wayward closed up and moved to Maine, Bill opened Capitol Hill Books in 1991. The store offers three floors of quality used books, first editions and rare books.
One of the few historic public market buildings left in Washington, DC and the only one that has retained its original public market function. The Eastern Market building is designated as a National Historic Landmark and has been in continuous operation since 1873.
Designed by master American architect and urban planner Daniel Burnham, the hub opened to great excitement in 1908. Over a century later its daily bustle continues, but its journey has been anything but a smooth ride.Learn More
Already have an account? Log In