This floating castle appears to be from an enchanted fable, but in actuality it is Europe's best preserved Renaissance water castle.
The Quadrille Palace has been transformed over and over again in the course of its long history. Records indicate that the current building was constructed on the foundations of an older one, the history of which goes as far back as the Middle Ages. Historians assume that a gentry residence was already located here by the 14th century.
In 1730, the von Krockow family made significant changes to the estate with the addition of a baroque and rococo residence. The family also planted trees, landscaped the ponds, and built an octagonal aviary in the gardens. The palace remained in this form for over 100 years. In the following century, Baron Wilhelm von Brauchitsch purchased the estate and initiated a radical reconstruction of the property in English neo-Gothic style. Von Brauchitsch literally left his mark on the house, inscribing the date “1859” on the main portal and displaying the family coat of arms on the exterior. Visitors today can still see the coat of arms above the park-side entrance.
In the 1920s, the Polish government purchased the estate and resold it to the Senator of the Free City of Gdansk, who broke it up and sold most of it to residential developers. A decade later, a portion of the property was handed over to the Union of Polish Teachers, who used the Palace until the onset of WWII, when a Gestapo unit was stationed in it. During the post-war period, High School No. 1 in Gdynia was housed here for nearly 60 years.
In November 2006, Przedsiębiorstwo Budowlane Górski (Gorski Construction Company) took over the historic house and initially sublet it to the Gdynia Film School. They later conducted major renovations, turning the property into luxury accommodations with a conference and training center.Know more? Share with us!
Already have an account? Log In