Montjuïc Cable Car
This cable car in Barcelona celebrates its 50th anniversary in 2020.
Les Eclaireurs Lighthouse is a slightly conically shaped lighthouse standing on the northeastern-most island of the Les Eclaireurs islands, 5 nautical miles east of Ushuaia in the Beagle Channel, Tierra del Fuego, southern Argentina.
The lighthouse was put into service in December 1920. The brick-built tower is 11 meters (36 ft) high and 3 meters (10 ft) wide at the base, with its windowless wall painted red-white-red and topped by a black lantern housing and gallery. Only a door pointing to the west provides access to the building.
It is a popular tourist attraction, reached on short boat tours from Ushuaia. It is known to the Argentines as the Lighthouse at the End of the World (Faro del fin del mundo), although that name is misleading.
Often confused with the San Juan de Salvamento lighthouse on the east coast of the remote Isla de los Estados, made famous by Jules Verne in the novel The Lighthouse at the End of the World, is actually much further east.
With a nautical range of 7.5 miles, Les Eclaireurs Lighthouse is still in operation today. Its electricity is supplied by solar-panels and the whole structure is remote-controlled, automated, uninhabited and not open to the public, guarding the sea entrance to Ushuaia.Know more? Share with us!
Already have an account? Log In