This French train station is located in a town renamed after the famed writer Marcel Proust's fictional name for the village.
Half Dome Village, previously “Curry Village,” is a camping ground in Mariposa County, California within Yosemite National Park. In 2016, Curry Village was forced to change its name to Half Dome Village due to a trademark dispute between the National Park Service and a private concessions company, Delaware North. At an elevation of 4,003ft (1,220m), the location occupies a central position in the Yosemite Valley and lies on a talus cone of debris from old rockfalls.
In 1899, David A. Curry and Jenny Etta Foster (later known as “Mother Curry”) opened a tented camp site. They advertised “a good bed and clean napkin with every meal” for $2 a day (equivalent to $61.78 in 2020).
Significant structures include the 1914 entrance sign, the 1904 Old Registration Office, and the 1913 dance hall, now adapted as guest lodgings known as the Stoneman House. Bungalows with en-suite baths were built from 1918-1922, and bungalows without plumbing were built during the Great Depression of the 1930s.
The Village, listed on the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP), also includes a store, dining facilities, a lodge, and a post office. The camp’s structures are rustic wood-framed cabins with hipped roofs, set on stone foundations.Know more? Share with us!
Already have an account? Log In