The Church of the Holy Comforter was built in 1872 by Charles Brown upon founding the town of Brownsville, Minnesota in 1849.
Located on Main Street on the west bank of the Mississippi River, the congregation began as an Episcopal church, which later transitioned to a Methodist Episcopal church and then an Emmanuel Lutheran church years later.
Despite surviving a devastating fire in downtown Brownsville in 1920 that caused approximately $75,000 in damage, the building has been vacant since 1963. The modest church was added to the National Register of Historic Places on June 2, 1970. A decade later, it was restored by the Houston County Historical Society.
Today, Holy Comforter no longer holds religious services, but it can still be booked for wedding ceremonies and similar events.Know more? Share with us!