When Victorian physicians prescribed Bournemouth for tuberculosis patients in the 1840s, the Lower Gardens were designed as ‘Invalid’s Walk,’ a sheltered promenade where the sick could inhale pine-scented air in their bath chairs. By 1917, the town had shed its sanatorium reputation and rechristened the path Pine Walk. Today, a lighthouse-striped helter skelter stands where invalids once shuffled, proof that Bournemouth successfully traded convalescence for carnival.
None of it existed before 1810. Lewis Tregonwell, a retired army officer, stumbled onto an empty stretch of heath while patrolling for smugglers, liked it enough to build a house there, and planted the pine trees that would later be credited with curing chest complaints. A physician’s endorsement in 1841 did the rest, turning a smuggler’s coastline into a winter refuge for the wealthy and unwell. It took less than a century for the town to outgrow the reason it was founded and start selling thrill rides on the same patch of pine-scented ground where people once came to die more comfortably.
50.7220101, -1.8667169